Gravity Waves during a Major Stratospheric Sudden Warming
MAUI was used to run simulation and perform analyses simulations using the Advanced Regional Predictive Systems (ARPS) and the Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model (WACCM). Results from these studies illustrate the changing characteristics of atmospheric gravity waves as the circulation changes due to a wintertime phenomenon known as the Major Stratospheric Sudden Warming (SSW), when the temperature in the polar stratospheric regions increases nearly 50 degrees Kelvin in several days. This phenomenon is associated with one of the most dramatic and rapid changes in our atmosphere and can have impact on our wintertime surface climate.
Caption: An example of high-resolution simulations of global atmospheric gravity waves using the ARPS model.
Acknowledgements. This study was supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) under awards ATM-RUI-0646672, AGS-RUI-1116123, and AGS-MRI-0958616, and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) contract NNX07AR25G.
- Limpasuvan, V., J. H. Richter, Y. J. Orsolini, F. Stordal, and O.-K. Kvissel, 2012: The Roles of Planetary and Gravity Waves during a Major Stratospheric Sudden Warming as Characterized by WACCM, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 78-79, p. 84-98.
- Limpasuvan, V., M. J. Alexander, Y. J. Orsolini, D. L. Wu, M. Xue, J. H. Richter, and C. Yamashita, 2011: Mesoscale Simulations of Gravity Waves during the 2009 Major Stratospheric Sudden Warming, Journal of Geophysical Research, 116, doi:10.1029/2010JD015190.
- The 2010 Meeting of the Americas, “Gravity Wave Activities during the Sudden Stratospheric Warming event of 2009”, V. Limpasuvan, M. Joan Alexander, Y. J. Orsolini, D. L. Wu, and M. Xue (Foz do Igauzu, Brazil; 9 August 2010)
- American Geophysical Union Chapman Conference on Gravity Waves, “Mesoscale simulations of gravity waves during the 2009 major stratospheric sudden warming”, V. Limpasuvan, M. J. Alexander, D. L. Wu, Y. J. Orsolini, J. Richter, and M. Xue (Honolulu, HI; 1 March 2011)
- International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics 25th General Assembly, “The Roles of planetary and gravity waves during a major stratospheric sudden warming as characterized in WACCM”, V. Limpasuvan, Y. J. Orsolini, OK. Kvissel, F. Stordal, and J. Richter (Melbourne, Australia; 6 July 2011)