Dynamical Coupling during Major SSW
MAUI was used to run simulation and perform analyses simulations using the National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) Whole Atmosphere Community Climate Model (WACCM) constraint with analyses from NASA MERRA data. Results from these studies illustrate the interplay between impact of mesoscale atmospheric gravity waves and planetary-scale Rossby waves during the wintertime phenomenon known as the Major Stratospheric Sudden Warming (SSW), when the temperature in the polar stratospheric regions increases nearly 50 degrees Kelvin in several days. While SSW phenomenon can impact on our wintertime surface climate, the emergence of planetary-scale waves in the mesosphere and above can disturb the ionosphere (affecting global communications) and the downward transport of long-lived chemical tracers in to the stratosphere where they can impact the ozone layer.
Caption: The response of planetary-scale Rossby waves (green vectors) and their momentum forcing (blue and red contours) during the first 10 days after the onset of SSW.
Acknowledgements. This study is supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) under awards AGS-RUI-1116123, and AGS-MRI-0958616, and by the Kerns Palmetto Professorship through the Provost’s Office.
- Limpasuvan, V., Y. J. Orsolini, A. Chandran, R. R. Garcia, A. K. Smith, 2016: On the Composite Response of the MLT to Major Sudden Stratospheric Warming Events with Elevated Stratopause, Journal of Geophysical Research, doi:10.1002/2015JD024401.
- Stray, N. H., Y. J. Orsolini, P. J. Espy, V. Limpasuvan, and R. E. Hibbins, 2015: Observations of Planetary Waves in the Mesosphere-Lower Thermosphere during Stratospheric Warming events, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 15, 4997-5005, doi:10.5194/acpd-15-4997-2015.
- De Wit, R. J., R. E. Hibbins, P. J. Espy,Y. J. Orsolini, V. Limpasuvan, and D. Kinnison, 2014: Observations of gravity wave forcing of the mesopause region during the January 2013 major Sudden Stratospheric Warming, Geophysical Research Letters, 41, doi:10.1002/2014GL060501.
- Limpasuvan, V., J. H. Richter, Y. J. Orsolini, F. Stordal, and O.-K. Kvissel, 2012: The Roles of Planetary and Gravity Waves during a Major Stratospheric Sudden Warming as Characterized by WACCM, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics, 78-79, p. 84-98.
- American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2013, “Planetary Wave 1 and 2 Activity in MLT during Stratospheric Warmings from a Chain of SuperDARN Radars and WACCM”, N. Kleinknecht, Y. Orsolini, P. Espy, V. Limpasuvan, and R. Hibbins (San Francisco, CA; 10 December 2013)
- American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2013, “Gravity Wave Forcing of the MLT during the January 2013 Stratospheric Sudden Warmings”, R. De Wit, Y. Orsolini, P. Espy, R. Hibbins, V. Limpasuvan (San Francisco, CA; 10 December 2013)
- American Meteorological Society Meeting 2015, “Mesospheric and Lower Thermospheric Response to Major Sudden Stratospheric Warming Events”, V. Limpasuvan, A. Chandran, Y. Orsolini, R. Garcia (Phoenix, AZ; 7 January 2015)
- 26th International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG) General Assembly 2015, “Mesospheric and Lower Thermospheric Response to Major Sudden Stratospheric Warming Events”, V. Limpasuvan, Y. Orsolini, R. Garcia, A. Smith, D. Kinnison (Prague, Czech Republic; 26 June 2015)